Old Canadian Machine

India and Turkey are two countries that I’ve travelled in where you can see a lot of tractors made by the Canadian company Massey-Ferguson. At least they used to be Canadian; they might not be today. Anyway, I  always look for them. During one visit about two weeks ago, to a place in Moodbidri, India (see post on Jain temple and statue below) called Soans Farm, I saw a very old MF tractor that must have been from the 1950s. It was still going strong. I did a photographic study of its parts and liked this picture. The steel had a kind of rich patina to it and I liked the simplicity of its mechanical parts, its sturdy levers. It seemed so well cared for that you would think it could run forever. One of my favorite memories of living on Cyprus was the day I ventured to find a remote ruin of a Byzantine church that nobody I knew had ever seen. Moreover there were only the sketchiest of indications of its whereabouts. It appeared on no map. I went to a village, hoping for the best. I showed a man a line drawing of the church done a century before. He nodded, and took me to his tractor (a Massey-Ferguson, of course) and drove me for twenty minutes to his fields. There, in the middle of his fields, was the church. Makes me think… I think I took a picture. Stay tuned to this channel.